This Easy Sponge Cake recipe makes use of a couple of easy components, is completely foolproof and tremendous simple to make! The proper sponge for layering along with your favourite frostings – I’m positive it is going to develop into your go-to sponge cake recipe.
This vanilla sponge is ideal for making a Strawberry Shortcake Cake!
Submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, test my disclosure
Each baker must have a foolproof recipe for a primary sponge cake. This straightforward cake makes use of a couple of on a regular basis components and but tastes scrumptious, is simple to customise and ideal for creating huge layered desserts.
I’ve simplified my sponge cake recipe in order that it’s extremely EASY to make and at all times seems excellent. This sponge recipe is right for birthday desserts or celebration desserts of any type.
What’s a sponge cake?
A sponge cake is an easy cake made with flour, sugar, eggs and butter as the primary components. An excellent sponge cake has a gentle uniform crumb and is sturdy sufficient for slicing and layering.
Sponge desserts used to depend on whisked eggs to rise earlier than the arrival of elevating brokers reminiscent of baking powder and soda.
And even now most recipes require you to cream the butter and sugar for a number of minutes earlier than including every other components. Not so for this sponge cake – I swear to you it’s SO EASY to make!
Sponge Cake Components
You simply want a couple of components for this cake and a primary electrical hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Flour – plain flour / all objective flour. If you’ll find fantastic sponge flour then use that. Should you favor to bake with self elevating flour, you should utilize that and easily omit the baking powder.
- Cornflour (= cornstarch) – including slightly cornstarch helps create the right texture we’re after in a sponge cake. You can also make this cake with out it, merely changing with flour.
- Baking powder – it will assist your sponge cake to rise. Be sure that your baking powder is recent.
- Sugar – I exploit caster sugar in sponge cake recipes. Within the US you’ll find caster sugar as superfine sugar, baker’s sugar or castor sugar. Caster sugar has smaller crystals than granulated making it simpler to bake with.
- Softened unsalted butter or Stork baking unfold. The butter must be gentle sufficient to your finger to go away an indentation in it simply. Stork can be utilized straight from the fridge.
- Massive eggs (room temperature)
- Milk – I used skimmed milk however any kind can be utilized
- Lemon juice – though it’s not important I discover that lemon juice helps the cake to rise. You may’t style it within the sponge and in case you would slightly not use it then exchange it with milk.
- Vanilla bean paste or extract is the standard flavoring for sponge cake.
HOW TO MAKE SPONGE CAKE
Full measurements and directions may be discovered on the printable recipe card on the backside of the web page. Please check out the steps and video earlier than making an attempt this recipe!
Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°). Mist the tin(s) with cake launch and line with baking paper. Sift all of the dry components (flour, sugar, baking powder, cornflour) into a big mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Add all of the remaining components (butter, eggs, milk, lemon juice, vanilla) and beat collectively till the batter is totally easy. You may need to make use of a spatula to scrape the underside and sides of the bowl midway by means of.
Spoon the batter right into a deep 8 inch cake tin (or you may divide between two shallow 8 inch cake tins). Degree and bake for 40-45 minutes for a deep cake utilizing a single cake tin or 22-25 minutes you probably have divided the batter into two cake tins.
The desserts are prepared when a toothpick inserted within the center comes out clear and the desserts are golden, evenly risen and really feel agency to the contact. Go away the desserts within the tin for 5-10 minutes then run a skinny knife blade across the fringe of the cake tin and gently invert the desserts onto a wire rack to chill.
In case you are splitting the cake in half then depart it to chill fully, in a single day if doable, earlier than utilizing a cake leveler to slice it in half horizontally utilizing a sawing movement.
The sponge cake can be utilized to make a layer cake and goes nicely with quite a lot of fillings and frostings. It’s particularly good as a Victoria Sponge with cream filling!
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT SPONGE CAKE
- Baking your sponge cake at a barely decrease temperature ensures it rises evenly and doesn’t dome.
- Don’t depend on the cooking time – use visible cues and a toothpick check to test your cake is completed. Oven temperatures can differ so get to know your oven!
- This sponge cake would profit from a easy syrup brushed on the layers earlier than assembling as a layer cake. This helps retains the layers moist and provides taste. You should use vanilla syrup for a vanilla sponge or taste your syrup with something you want! You may also brush the layers with a liqueur, espresso, tea and so forth.
- Ideally enable the cake 6-8 hours to chill down if you’re slicing it in half – the feel might be much less crumbly if the cake rests.
- Change the vanilla with almond extract or any flavoring you want. Including citrus zest is one other nice solution to adapt your sponge cake.
HOW TO SLICE A SPONGE CAKE
The best solution to slice a deep sponge cake in half is to make use of a cake leveler. Place your cake on a flat floor and place the leveler on the aspect of the cake at a 90° angle. Use one hand on prime of the cake and the opposite to information the leveler throughout the center in a sawing movement till you may have break up the cake in half.
I at all times use digital scales for my baking. It’s extra correct than utilizing cups and if you’re an avid baker I might very extremely suggest you get your individual scales. I exploit mine day by day!
In case you are utilizing cups to measure your dry components then fluff up the flour first by stirring it then use a spoon so as to add it to your measuring cup. Overfill the cup then stage utilizing a knife or comparable. Utilizing the measuring cup to scoop the flour will in all probability lead to you utilizing extra flour than the recipe requires.
At all times use measuring spoons not desk spoons to spoon baking powder or any added extracts and so forth. Ensure you stage the components earlier than including to your mixing bowl.
YOU WILL ALSO LOVE
Make this Air Fryer Cake Recipe and you can be rewarded with a stunning gentle and fluffy sponge cake. Seize your bowl and components and let me present you bake a cake in your air fryer!
Servings: 8 -10
Preheat the oven to at 160°C (320°F) whilst you put together the batter. Mist an 8 inch deep cake pan with cake launch and line the underside with baking paper. Alternatively you should utilize two shallow 8 inch cake tins (in case you would slightly not slice the cake in half).
Sift the flour, sugar, cornflour and baking powder right into a mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Stir to mix.
Add the butter, eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat collectively utilizing an electrical hand mixer or your stand mixer, utilizing a spatula to scrape the underside and sides of the bowl as wanted. Combine till the batter is easy, a couple of minute.
Spoon the batter into the ready cake pan(s) and stage. Bake 45 minutes if baking a single sponge cake or 22-25 minutes you probably have divided the batter into two cake tins.
Test for doneness – insert a skewer or toothpick within the centre of the cake. If it comes out clear, the cake is completed. If the skewer comes out moist or with moist crumbs proceed to prepare dinner for an extra 5 minutes.
Cool for five minutes within the pan then invert onto a cooling rack. Permit the desserts to chill down fully earlier than utilizing.
Use a cake leveler to slice the cake in half horizontally you probably have baked a single deep sponge. Try the notes for extra recipe ideas!
- In case your are utilizing self elevating flour then omit the baking powder.
- Don’t overfill the cake pan – about half full is true.
- Brush the cake layers with easy syrup so as to add moisture. To make easy syrup mix equal quantities of water and sugar in a saucepan. Stir over low warmth till the sugar dissolves (don’t enable it to boil).
- Taste your easy syrup with vanilla or every other extracts. Alternatively use espresso, tea or liqueur to brush on the cake layers, relying on what you’re utilizing as a frosting!
Energy: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 14g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 181mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 599IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 2mg